The UK’s #1 training course in Strategic Thinking
The word ‘Strategy’ originates from the Greek word ‘Stratçgos’ which is derived from two words: “stratos” (which means ‘army’) and “ago” (which means leading). It is defined as being a ‘Plan of Action’.
The process of creating a Strategy involves two elements: Strategic Thinking and Strategic Planning. Strategic Thinking is the part of the process which focuses on analysing the current strategic environment, defining a vision of the desired future and creating new strategic ideas which will enable the organisation to ‘out-think’ its competitors. It is all about creating tomorrow’s competitive advantages today!
Strategic Planning involves taking those strategic ideas and formulating them into a detailed business plan which becomes the strategic roadmap steering the organisation in the direction of the strategic vision.
Many organisations are very good at the strategic planning part of the process but unfortunately, spend very little time doing any strategic thinking! This often results in ‘Strategic Insanity’ which means ‘continuing to do the same business strategies whilst expecting very different business results!!’
Strategy also tends to be a ‘one-off’ event in response to the business planning cycle rather than an everyday activity which everyone in the organisation engages with.
Our one day Strategic Thinking skills training course focuses on the essential element of Strategic Thinking. It aims to teach delegates how to think strategically everyday in their roles as well as part of the business planning process. It helps them to develop strategic insight, define a strategic vision and create new strategic ideas. They learn a simple 3-step thinking process and a selection of practical strategic thinking tools that enable them to formulate business strategies and think about the big picture.
- Key Outcomes
- What You Will Learn
- Course Outline
- What this Course is NOT!
- Who Should Attend?
- Learn how to create a strategic vision that will inspire and empower the team/organisation
- Learn how to produce strategic intelligence in order to analyse the current strategic position
- Discover how to develop compelling strategies that will achieve the vision and objectives
- The 3-stage process of strategy development
- 4 strategic thinking tools to develop strategic insight
- How to create a strategic vision
- How to identify and analyse the current strategic position
- How to develop strategies to achieve the vision and objectives
- Strategic Thinking
- Strategic Insight
- Strategy Development
- Applied Strategy
The course commences with an introductory session on thinking. Participants will explore the thinking process, understand the language of strategy and learn the whole brain strategy model.
This session focuses on developing strategic intelligence i.e., understanding the internal and external operating environment by generating strategic insight from information. Delegates will learn and apply 2 strategic thinking models to enable them to create strategic insights into their business.
This session aims to develop strategic thinking skills so that delegates can think more creatively about their business strategies. They will create a vision, learn scenario planning and develop creative strategies.
The course concludes with a summary session during which delegates will create a personal strategy framework to guide their strategic thinking back at work.
- A strategic planning course – the planning process starts after the strategic thinking process has yielded a compelling vision, mission and strategies. Sadly, too many organisations dive straight into the planning process after doing limited, if any, strategic thinking! This leads to ‘Strategic Insanity’….continuing to implement the same strategies and tactics year after year yet expecting different performance results! Therefore, this course ONLY focuses on the Strategic Thinking process.
- A strategic analysis course – whilst we do incorporate two strategic analysis models into the content, this course focuses on the thought process behind strategic thinking using metaphor to understand the current strategic position and create a vision of the future. However, we do provide a recommended list of strategic analysis models depending on the type of strategy you are creating e.g., stakeholder analysis, BCG Matrix, Porter’s 5 Forces etc.
- Multi-media presentation
- Interactive discussions and debate
- Practical thinking challenges
- Individual and small group strategic thinking sessions
- In-house only
- We can deliver this course in the UK and internationally
- Individuals and teams who want to learn how to think more strategically everyday
“Thanks Jayne! Bottom line…. I have ABSOLUTELY NO doubt that we will be a better, more effective team because of it…” Daniel Frigo – EMEA General Manager, Walt Disney Studio’s
“Very good course and Jayne made strategy really enjoyable instead of a chore!” Utilities Company
“The best course I have EVER been on!” Financial Institution